Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bricked Device?
Sad 
I believe I flashed the wrong firmware on my device and now it will not turn on or be recognized by my computer. Only the red light turns on and cant get the box to fire up HELP? Huh
IPVanish is probably the best VPN service to use in order to watch movies and TV shows anonymously on Kodi or otherwise. But, Astrill VPN can be used by 5 persons or devices at the same time!
(01-22-2017, 04:21 PM)Fronked Wrote: I believe I flashed the wrong firmware on my device and now it will not turn on or be recognized by my computer. Only the red light turns on and cant get the box to fire up HELP? Huh

Hi,

Can you get into recovery using the reset switch?

I would suggest you rety re applying the correct firmare with either the USB method or SD card method. Both detailed in my FAQ.

Regards,
Friz's Nexbox File Repository:
https://mega.nz/#F!F9xjTSSa!R0vJfTC2U6Qc2skNMrr1iQ
Friz's Nexbox A95x (s905x), A1/A3 Facebook Page: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nexboxcrazy/
Friz's SmallRT X1 , X2 , X3 Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Smallrt
(01-22-2017, 06:09 PM)friz Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 04:21 PM)Fronked Wrote: I believe I flashed the wrong firmware on my device and now it will not turn on or be recognized by my computer. Only the red light turns on and cant get the box to fire up HELP? Huh

Hi,

Can you get into recovery using the reset switch?

I would suggest you rety re applying the correct firmare with either the USB method or SD card method. Both detailed in my FAQ.

Regards,

I can't get into recovery red light stays on and unit will not boot. Also my computer does not recognize the box when plugged into usb
I actually have the same problem. Though my firmware as a stock compile of the Co-Designer firmware. 

Just ran the ./make_project.sh with option 0.

I know when my Rockchip units did this, you had to short 2 pins on the chips to make it flash able again, but this device uses Samsung EEPROM instead of the rknand. So i don't know what pins to short. 

As I've tired the microsd flash of the stock firmware and usb flash.
IPVanish is probably the best VPN service to use in order to watch movies and TV shows anonymously on Kodi or otherwise. But, Astrill VPN can be used by 5 persons or devices at the same time!
Which firmware version you have now? What's your box model?
Is your box new? It seems like the newest batches of a95x dont like to flash custom firmwares. They fail at 2% using USB Burn Tool and brick if you force them with the sd card method. You may have to pull the board out and short pins. Ive had to do this on 2 of the a95x's I purchased last week.
(02-06-2017, 04:03 PM)Rccm112 Wrote: Is your box new? It seems like the newest batches of a95x dont like to flash custom firmwares. They fail at 2% using USB Burn Tool and brick if you force them with the sd card method. You may have to pull the board out and short pins. Ive had to do this on 2 of the a95x's I purchased last week.

These boxes are fine with any firmware.  I sell at least 20 of these a week.  I have firmware's customized from DDR, uboot,  bootloader code mods to OS coding and mods (ie,  this dark screen fix thing)
If your getting stuck at 2% most likely your flashing incorrect firmware with wrong DDR code (tells software ram size of box and storage).  Another trick is load firmware in burning software, click start and then plug box in for it to process.  Never click stop button after 100% complete, always pull cord from box first then click stop.
The pins that require shorting are on the bottom side of board (i believe 7-8 pin).  If you have the latest box which has a samsung 8 gig nand BGA chip you'll need to JTAG this board in order to trip recovery mode. 
Nand chip defaults error code 1 for recovery port on usb closest to sdcard.   If your computer is not seeing it at all you most likely erased all partitions on chip and will require JTAG programing, which I HIGHLY doubt this happened with a bad flash.
This is completely my opinion based on bricking 3 so far.

The newest boxes are not fine with any firmware anymore. It looks like a new version of the a95x was quietly released for the new year. You can tell if you have a new one by looking on the botttom of the box. If you see an R4 with a circle around it below the Rom size its a new box. The bottom is also The R4 also appears on the bottom of the packaging. Finally if your build number is 201612301549 you have the new box. Yes, a 12-30-2016 firmware... Some custom firmwares will brick the new box. USB Burning Tool seems to only flash stock firmware on them. USB Burning custom ROMs fail at 2%. The good news is if you do get bricked its easy to short pins 7+8 to flash back to stock.

Please look at the bottom of your box and see if you see the circled R4. Maybe this will help people from getting bricked in the future.
(02-07-2017, 06:47 AM)Rccm112 Wrote: This is completely my opinion based on bricking 3 so far.

The newest boxes are not fine with any firmware anymore. It looks like a new version of the a95x was quietly released for the new year. You can tell if you have a new one by looking on the botttom of the box. If you see an R4 with a circle around it below the Rom size its a new box. The bottom is also  The R4 also appears on the bottom of the packaging. Finally if your build number is 201612301549 you have the new box. Yes, a 12-30-2016 firmware... Some custom firmwares will brick the new box. USB Burning Tool seems to only flash stock firmware on them. USB Burning custom ROMs fail at 2%. The good news is if you do get bricked its easy to short pins 7+8 to flash back to stock.

Please look at the bottom of your box and see if you see the circled R4. Maybe this will help people from getting bricked in the future.

where do i find the pins to short out?
(02-07-2017, 04:45 PM)Fronked Wrote:
(02-07-2017, 06:47 AM)Rccm112 Wrote: This is completely my opinion based on bricking 3 so far.

The newest boxes are not fine with any firmware anymore. It looks like a new version of the a95x was quietly released for the new year. You can tell if you have a new one by looking on the botttom of the box. If you see an R4 with a circle around it below the Rom size its a new box. The bottom is also  The R4 also appears on the bottom of the packaging. Finally if your build number is 201612301549 you have the new box. Yes, a 12-30-2016 firmware... Some custom firmwares will brick the new box. USB Burning Tool seems to only flash stock firmware on them. USB Burning custom ROMs fail at 2%. The good news is if you do get bricked its easy to short pins 7+8 to flash back to stock.

where do i find the pins to short out?
If you have the latest box, there are no pins.  Its BGA form (Ball Grid Array).  Only way to short is Soldering cables for serial connect, this is called jtag.

If you have pins you have older gen of motherboard.   The are located on back side of motherboard.  If you have access to them from top side you have one of the first gen logic boards. I posted pics and a tutorial in one of these threads (i believe titled Mini m8s flash or something) on where to find the pins.

Bricking is fun!!! You get to learn a bunch this way! :-)

The latest logic boards do not have pins to short.  They have BGA Nand/memory (Ball Grid Array), which means no pins exposed, everything is underneath the chip.  These are very common in video cards, laptop cpu's and of course Game consoles.   The notorious yellow or red light of deaths is from these BGA's breaking loose causing a cold joint.  Proper way to fix it is not a reflow that you read about, it needs to be reballed.
  I have about 25 or 30 boxes here (including these a95x) sent from 3 wholesalers for reprogramming of these newer boxes from people bricking them.   In order to reflash you need to solder a cable on, this is called jtag.  You then force erase the nand, re partition it also tripping it into recovery from sdcard or usb port and flashing can be restored.
The box you are talking about are previous gens with newer builds. If it has nand pins to short (via top of the board or back side) you have older gen hardware.   It's as simple as decompressing IMG and replacing either/or/all uboot, ddr, and bootloader (level 1) with your August build that "works".  
Flashing any custom build on any box can brick the device into a paper weight, but it's how far you want to go to get a cheap android box back to life.
You'll also notice on the new box with BGA chips they have warranty stickers on the case (outside) and inside on screw mounts.  Very little reason to access these for there is nothing the "normal" user can do without physically modifying the board therefore voiding any warranty available.
I'm in the middle of repairing my 6th one today because of corrupt flashing or improper.