Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MeCool M8S Pro L freezing constantly
Sad 
Hi,

I recently purchased this and it was working fine apart from Netflix. 
Netflix wasn't working and after doing some research I found that Netflix could be fixed by installing an app called "BurnKey Tools".

I did this and Netflix was working fine. 

I then performed an OTA software update to 7.1.2 and the box was working fine for a couple of days but then found that it would freeze after around 30mins and I could do nothing except pull the plug and start up again. This is now happening constantly.

I then did some research and found this post where it says that some M8S Pro L boxes have a bad eeprom chip and updating them can cause the feezing issue:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/10221-freezing-problems-with-mecool-m8s-pro-boxes/

I want to know if that is the problem and there is nothing I can do to the box, or if it may be another problem and can be fixed?

Thanks

p.s. I added a USB fan to keep it cool as I thought overheating may be an issue, but the box is cool and still freezes Huh
First , check it and with another power adapter!
Regards
(12-10-2018, 01:44 PM)gatos814 Wrote: First , check it and with another power adapter!
Regards

Why do you think it's a power issue?
Because it's a common issue to these tv boxes and if the power isn't enough it does ''crazy things''!
Regards
(12-13-2018, 12:48 PM)gatos814 Wrote: Because it's a common issue to these tv boxes and if the power isn't enough it does ''crazy things''!
Regards

Ok, I had already installed the app "Ampere" on there a while ago and it's been showing fine.
Is the problem the voltage or the amps?
I'm afraid Ampere is not going to help you!
It shows mesures via software but we want to get mesures from hardware!
For example , with one good smartphone's power adapter , a hand made cable to fit to your tv box and a tool like this :
https://www.pretzellogix.net/wp-content/...tector.jpg
you will have the ''good'' measurements !
And by the way, the important thing here is the Ampere !
If we have ''immersions'' then something is going on!
Regards
(12-15-2018, 09:23 AM)gatos814 Wrote: I'm afraid Ampere is not going to help you!
It shows mesures via software but we want to get mesures from hardware!
For example , with one good smartphone's power adapter , a hand made cable to fit to your tv box and a tool like this :
https://www.pretzellogix.net/wp-content/...tector.jpg
you will have the ''good'' measurements !
And by the way, the important thing here is the Ampere !
If we have  ''immersions'' then something is going on!
Regards

Yup, you're right. Only thing I can tell is that CPU temp is at 42c.
I connected to another power outlet, but same issue - freezing after 30mins.

The link I have in the first post, is that real? Could it be a problem with my eeprom chip? I can confirm I have the new "LB" box.

What do you mean by "immersions"?

I'm going to factory reset and see if that helps.
When there is a problem with the power adapter we get disproportionate sizes measurements between volt and ampere!
And unfortunately , yes, there is a chance to have some bad eMMC!
And if you don't come to a working solution , contact with your seller for help or .... what ever!!!
Regards
Netfilx very selfish
We have to pay monthly but can not see it on TVBOX
My son must look from tablet.
My wife is deciding to buy new Smart TV.
Bad new for me...
(12-16-2018, 08:58 PM)gatos814 Wrote: When there is a problem with the power adapter we get disproportionate sizes measurements between volt and ampere!
And unfortunately , yes, there is a chance to have some bad eMMC!
And if you don't come to a working solution , contact with your seller for help or .... what ever!!!
Regards

Yes, I did contact the seller and they just linked me to an image of the previous build I guess.

The factory reset seems to have worked and had the box running for a few hours without issues.  Smile

Could it have been down to a bad apk?

If there is a problem with the eMMC, is it a "false positive" that box is working again after a factory reset and will start freezing again soon, OR does this confirm that I do not have a bad eMMC if the box is not freezing?

Thanks