Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multiple users
Good Morning.

Got yesterday the A1 and started playing with it.

one of the functions i was looking for is to manage multiple users - since i need to have some resticted area (i.e. email and other private doc).
I did not find the usual "users" setting and actually i got into the "restricted" setting that made me wasting one hour before i understood to get back the only option was factory reset....
So  my question is: is there any way to manage multiple users?
I really need it
=
Something more: the italian translation is somehow funny.... need to be fixed to do not be ilarius.
Thanks
Roberto
(12-13-2016, 09:14 AM)bob43 Wrote: Good Morning.

Got yesterday the A1 and started playing with it.

one of the functions i was looking for is to manage multiple users - since i need to have some resticted area (i.e. email and other private doc).
I did not find the usual "users" setting and actually i got into the "restricted" setting that made me wasting one hour before i understood to get back the only option was factory reset....
So  my question is: is there any way to manage multiple users?
I really need it
=
Something more: the italian translation is somehow funny.... need to be fixed to do not be ilarius.
Thanks
Roberto

To any admins out there:

To build on Roberto's comment above...

Is a factory reset REALLY the only option if a restricted profile is set up on this box?  I got this box a couple of weeks ago and have spent several days getting everything configured and downloading many apps, and I do not wish to have all that time wasted.  I set up a restricted profile since I have kids who will be using this box, and there was no warning that I should not access this function of the box due to partial/incomplete functionality.  I am confused as to why we can set up a restricted profile only to have the box PERMANENTLY locked into that profile once it is enabled (i.e., there is no way to switch users when in the restricted profile, and the box automatically switches to the restricted profile a few seconds after a hard or soft reboot).

Native android has the option to get out of the restricted profile by clicking on an icon and entering the PIN that was set up when the restricted profile was created, so why is that not available to us as the owner of the box?  Is this a firmware issue? a bug?  I know the Owner profile still exists since it shows up in the storage settings of the restricted profile, but I cannot view anything.  It tells me to "switch to Owner", which I would love to do, but there does not seem any way to do it.

Can the box's recovery mode be used to delete the restricted profile or force the box to boot and stay in the Owner profile?
I tried wiping the cache partition, which I knew wouldn't work, and (of course) it didn't work.
Is it possible to SSH into this box and take care of this issue without doing a factory reset?

I will be very disappointed if a factory reset is the only answer, since that means I will have lost many, many hours of my time.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thank you,
--James
Sounds like a silly question but have you added a google account (two total) and still cannot switch users?
(I have not set it like this as I don`t care, just a silly suggestion)

BTW, where is the setting of the restricted profile? I searched my A1 settings and could not find it. At least I will get away with it.
(12-13-2016, 04:49 PM)spiros Wrote: Sounds like a silly question but have you added a google account (two total) and still cannot switch users?

BTW, where is the setting of the restricted profile? I searched my A1 settings and could not find it. At least I will get away with it.

Hi spiros!

Thanks for your suggestion!  The problem is that I cannot add anything at this point, and I cannot even sign into my own Google account (I get an error saying that "This change isn't allowed by your administrator").  Within the android settings (white background with green icons), in the "Personal" section, when I click on Accounts, I see "Google" listed, but I am not actually logged in and when I try to do anything, I get the error mentioned in the previous sentence.  Sigh.

The way to create the restricted profile was in the Nexbox settings (not the Android settings), by clicking the icon that includes "Security".
When I go into the same Nexbox Settings screen in the restricted profile (which I am forced to stay in right now), that icon is missing.

It really doesn't make sense to me that there is no solution.  If I can create the restricted profile, how can I not be able to get out of it?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion!

Best,
--James

(12-13-2016, 05:09 PM)jstraf25 Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 04:49 PM)spiros Wrote: Sounds like a silly question but have you added a google account (two total) and still cannot switch users?

Hi spiros!

Thanks for your suggestion!  The problem is that I cannot add anything at this point, and I cannot even sign into my own Google account (I get an error saying that "This change isn't allowed by your administrator").  Within the android settings (white background with green icons), in the "Personal" section, when I click on Accounts, I see "Google" listed, but I am not actually logged in and when I try to do anything, I get the error mentioned in the previous sentence.  Sigh.

The way to create the restricted profile was in the Nexbox settings (not the Android settings), by clicking the icon that includes "Security".
When I go into the same Nexbox Settings screen in the restricted profile (which I am forced to stay in right now), that icon is missing.

It really doesn't make sense to me that there is no solution.  If I can create the restricted profile, how can I not be able to get out of it?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion!

Best,
--James

...and just to follow-up for anyone else out there...

By all accounts, in Android, when a restricted profile is created and activated, a "Restricted Profile" icon should then appear in the Settings and then we should be able to click "Exit restricted profile" and enter the PIN we created, as described here:
https://support.google.com/androidtv/ans...3330?hl=en

The problem is that the Nexbox does not seem to have this functionality, even though it does allow the restricted profile to be created and enabled. That's why I am wondering if this is a firmware issue or a bug.

Thanks,
--James
a Restricted Profile with a way to get back, would work for me.
Need just someone telling me if and how...
Thanks
Roberto
(12-14-2016, 05:24 PM)bob43 Wrote: a Restricted Profile with a way to get back, would work for me.
Need just someone telling me if and how...
Thanks
Roberto

Roberto...

To be honest , from what I have read. There is no way. I believe that this is a major bug with the firmware that needs to be addressed quickly by Nexbox or whoever does the programming of the firmware for these boxes.

I agree doing a Factory reset is not a good answer at all for users that find themselves in this situation.

Hopefully the admins here will read this , and get in touch with the programmers.

At this time there are many issues building up with this box that need addressing and I am sure will hurt sales of their boxes unless they are addressed soon.

1) General playback (esp H265 ) we have had many reports of this being "choppy" , "dropping frames" etc. We know the A95x (hardware wise) is very capable playing these files perfectly . As many users have installed the LibreELEC operating system on the A95x and have had perfect results.
2) The "restricted profile" bug. Some users have entered this mode - and the only "Cure" has been to do a factory reset procedure. This needs addressing as its not fair to expect user to have to reinstall everything to cure which is clearly a firmware bug.
3) The "Dark Video" Bug where many users are seeing video playing very dark. There is a work around for this provided by a forum user. But this needs fixing in firmware.

I intend to create a "official bug" thread at the forum , hopefully the admins will see it and act upon it. Please feel free to add to it , on issues you think need to be fixed with a firmware update.
Friz's Nexbox File Repository:
https://mega.nz/#F!F9xjTSSa!R0vJfTC2U6Qc2skNMrr1iQ
Friz's Nexbox A95x (s905x), A1/A3 Facebook Page: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nexboxcrazy/
(12-14-2016, 07:30 PM)friz Wrote: 3) The "Dark Video" Bug where many users are seeing video playing very dark. There is a work around for this provided by a forum user. But this needs fixing in firmware.

I like this "bug".
I actually find it as a feature.
There are many videos that I prefer a lot better the dark output than the bright one.
If I don`t like the dark then go to recent apps and play the oem file.
So this "feature" would be very nice to be present in a future firmware fix. A setting that allow user to choose between dark and bright.
(12-14-2016, 07:38 PM)spiros Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 07:30 PM)friz Wrote: 3) The "Dark Video" Bug where many users are seeing video playing very dark. There is a work around for this provided by a forum user. But this needs fixing in firmware.

I like this "bug".
I actually find it as a feature.
There are many videos that I prefer a lot better the dark output than the bright one.
If I don`t like the dark then go to recent apps and play the oem file.
So this "feature" would be very nice to be present in a future firmware fix. A setting that allow user to choose between dark and bright.

I agree , maybe just a simple brightness / contrast slider like we see on many other devices would be a nice compromise?. I myself dont have this issue , but I see many posts from forum users that do.
That would be nice.

To the subject now, as it seems there is no fix for the restricted user - except if admin has a different suggestion - is there any other owner that has added an additional google account so he/she can switch between different users?
I have done so in a tablet running android 5.1 but have not tried it in my A1 box as I don`t need such a thing.

So is there anyone who has set two different google accounts in the box?
Does it work?
Most adaptions of the Android system have a multiple user feature. If you look at the status bar on the A95x , there is the place where the "profile" icon usually goes. From memory,I think this is a green colour on the Nexbox. Clearly Nexbox or the dev team have decided NOT to fully implement multiple user support on the device. As when you click on it , it does nothing...

I myself would love to see this feature added. But if I am honest would love to see the MAJOR bugs addressed first..

We live in hope that the Development team read these posts we take the time to make , to try and improve their device..